a simple lifestyle blog
I spend so much of my time talking about how obsessed I am with Harry Potter (and I am), that you may not know I am also a huge fan of the Beatles.
I am one of those people who really gets into song lyrics.
Can’t be too cheesy…
… or dumb…
The Beatles are known for poignant songs rich with artistic eloquence in their deep and meaningful lyrics.
On this day, 52 years ago, the Beatles played their final show in the Cavern Club in their hometown of Liverpool.
The small club gave them a gig paying £5 (that’s less than $8!) for a lunchtime set until, not quite a year later, Brian Epstein came along, heard them play and offered to be their manager.
Fast forward two years, the Beatles were taking off with their debut LP “Please Please Me,” which was very nearly recorded live at a show at the Cavern Club, but ended up being recorded at Abbey Road Studios.
The Beatles played their final show at the Cavern Club in 1963 to a crowd of 500 (despite the club’s 200 person legal capacity). There was so much condensation in the air that the moisture dripped from the walls and eventually connected with some electrical equipment causing a power outage at which time Paul McCartney and John Lennon began playing an acoustic version of “When I’m Sixty-Four” (not recorded and released until “Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band” four years later).
When I am in the mood for some contemplative music, The Beatles will always be my go-to.
1. “And when the brokenhearted people / Living in the world agree / There will be an answer, let it be”
2. “Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see”
3. “Yesterday, all my troubles seemed so far away / Now it looks as though they’re here to stay / Oh, I believe in yesterday”
4. “Blackbird singing in the dead of night / Take these broken wings and learn to fly / All your life /
You were only waiting for this moment to arise”
(Note that “bird” is a British term for women and this was written at the height of the civil rights movement.)
5. “Try thinking more if just for your own sake”
6. “And any time you feel the pain, hey Jude, refrain / Don’t carry the world upon your shoulders / For well, you know that it’s a fool who plays it cool / By making his world a little colder”
7. “Limitless undying love which shines around me like a million suns / It calls me on and on, across the universe”
8. All the lonely people / Where do they all come from? / All the lonely people / Where do they all belong?
“There’s nothing you can do that can’t be done / Nothing you can sing that can’t be sung / Nothing you can say, but you can learn how to play the game / It’s easy / All you need is love”
9. “When I was younger, so much younger than today / I never needed anybody’s help in any way / But now these days are gone and I’m not so self assured / Now I find I’ve changed my mind I’ve opened up the doors.”
10. “And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make”
(Thanks for the inspiration!)
Doesn’t it just make you love the Beatles even more?
What is your favorite Beatles song/lyric?
Share it with me in the comments!
Until next time, cheers!