a simple lifestyle blog
I went on a few decently long walks this week that left me feeling
1. totally invigorated.
2. positive about the trajectory of my health.
3. like a curmudgeon.
When a 40 degree incline has me gasping for breath like a I’m being drowned, I get a little grumpy.
Now more than ever, I want to snuggle up to my dog and indulge in some #FridayFavorites.
(that should really help the out of breath thing, right?)
FLICKS: Inherent Vice
Joaquin Phoenix (Her / Walk the Line / Gladiator) is “Doc,” a man that everyone is looking for to help sort out some whacky disappearances and bizarre connections between a cast of colorful characters in the daze of 1970’s Los Angeles.
Honestly, my plot summary has to stop there because most other things I could share might spoil the otherwise brilliant development of characters and stories that Paul Thomas Anderson has become accustomed to delivering. This movie is heavily dialogue-driven, which is why the cast is completely stacked with some of Hollywood’s heaviest hitters.
DO NOT go see it if you:
1. don’t like seeing a lot of Joaquin Phoenix.
2. don’t like anything that warrants an “R” rating from the MPAA.
3. don’t have a long attention span.
DO see it if you:
1. are a big PTA fan. (that’s Paul Thomas Anderson, ya parent-teacher goons.)
2. like asking all sorts of annoying questions to your fellow audience as though they are not also watching this movie for the first time too.
3. appreciate really phenomenal actors letting their skills shine instead of just watching them stand around while stuff blows up and more and more of their clothes mysteriously disappear from their bodies.
(I’m feelin’ the lists this week in case you hadn’t noticed.)
I was super late to the game on Rent.
It was hella popular when I was in high school, but I refused to watch it on principle.
“No way am I going to get sucked into that fad!” as I adjusted my puka shell necklace and LiveStrong bracelet.
Turns out, the joke was on me.
ALL the songs are magical.
I have yet to see the stage performance, but the movie (which is currently on Netflix, *hint hint*) is great and I’ve seen it approximately 5 times in the last month or so…
That’s not weird.
Lime: oh yes.
Vodka: GIMME DAT.
Until next week, cheers!